Student Nursing Times Awards: Live Judging.

Students and staff recently travelled to a live judging event in London.  This followed successful UWS nominations across four categories of the Student Nursing Times awards:

1. Student Experience: The Lanarkshire Campus (nominated by student group)
  2. Most Inspirational Student: Claire Stevenson (nominated by Clair Graham and Betty Scholes)
  3. Partnership of the Year: UWS/NHS24/Scottish Fire & Rescue/East Renfrewshire Health & Social Care Partnership (nominated by Gillian Gamble and Susan Rae)
  4. Learner of the Year (Post Registration): Barbara Lawson, Care Home Manager of Kincaid House Care Home, Greenock (nominated by Raymond Duffy)

The judging panels consisted of sector leaders and previous winners, with candidates required to undertake a presentation and/or answer questions from the panel. Natalie Elliot, Gordon Heggie and Mark Molesworth represented UWS for the Student Experience: Lanarkshire Campus nomination (featured in the attached image).  The judges required the presentation to demonstrate 3 reasons why UWS should win the student experience category.  In the days and weeks prior to the live judging event, the group shared ideas and agreed on three main themes related to the student experience at the Lanarkshire Campus: Spaces to Inspire Student Success, Person-Centred and Student Led. Craig Nichol offered the group assistance, providing images and UWS branded content for the presentation. Natalie is currently in the first year of her BSc Nursing (Adult) programme and she had a crucial role throughout the process. As UWS Nursing Society President, Vice Chair of the SSLG and a Council of Dean’s #150 Leader, Natalie has an excellent understanding of the student experience at UWS Lanarkshire Campus. She was able to share many insights during the judge’s questioning, some of which are summarised in the following paragraph:

“I did my first degree at the Hamilton Campus and in a different school some time ago, and I can say that the new campus has made a huge difference to my learning experience. The open plan of the “street” allows for easier conversations to take place between staff and students. Something that you may not think to ask in a lecture is easily asked in passing and informally. The learning environment also makes me wanted to study due to the campus being open planned and bright. Having a free gym allows me to take care of my physical and mental health without any financial implications, as does free car parking! Being able to drop my children at school knowing that I will get a space in the car parking space and still make my class. Lastly, I think that there is a sense of community amongst the school of health. It is clear that students are at the forefront of what they do, which allows us to believe in ourselves in order to achieve our dreams.”

Natalie, Gordon and Mark were honoured to represent the work everyone at UWS Lanarkshire Campus has put into providing an exceptional student experience.

Fingers crossed that UWS wins during the awards event on the 26thApril 2019!

Be the first to comment on "Student Nursing Times Awards: Live Judging."