Corinne Hutton Prepares for Kilimanjaro at UWS Lanarkshire

UWS Honorary Doctor, Corinne Hutton, is using our Lanarkshire Campus’s new Extreme Environments Laboratory to prepare for an 11-day hike to the summit of Kilimanjaro, which will see her raise money to reduce social isolation for amputees.

The Great Scot award winner and founder of the Finding Your Feet charity – who lost both her hands and legs below the knee after suffering from acute pneumonia and septicaemia – will use the cutting-edge facility at our new Lanarkshire Campus to test her physical fitness and help inform her during her final period of altitude training. Corinne will begin her 90km trip in Tanzania on September 29 and aims to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro on October 6, fundraising for her charity, Finding Your Feet, which supports families affected by amputation or limb difference through a range of sporting initiatives and social inclusion projects.

Our Extreme Environments Laboratory houses one of only two such high-specification environmental chambers in Scotland – and is the only one in the West of Scotland. The chamber replicates environmental extremes, from walking in the desert to standing on one of the world’s highest mountains and can be used by athletes to improve physical performance in the run-up to large sporting events, such as the Olympics in 2020 and the World Cup in 2022. The chamber is an important asset for the University, enhancing students’ experience and enabling us to forge research partnerships and collaborations within industry and academia. Businesses and the public will also be able to access the chamber and take part in altitude training sessions.

Professor Craig Mahoney said:

“Corinne Hutton is an inspiration to many of us, and it’s truly amazing that she’s going to climb Africa’s tallest mountain for her charity, Finding Your Feet. We will be supporting Corinne all the way, and we hope that our new laboratory will help her prepare for the challenge ahead, and that she’ll be the first of many to use our new, state-of-the-art facility. From students and staff at UWS, we wish Corinne the very best of luck.”

Corinne Hutton said:

“Following an infection in 2017 I had the majority of one of my lungs removed, so dealing with the altitude on Kilimanjaro has been a worry for both me and my family. The fact that UWS can offer this fantastic, state-of-the-art facility to help me get an understanding of how I’ll deal with the conditions is just incredible. UWS has been a great supporter of Finding Your Feet, and I’m delighted the University can be a part of my trek up the mountain. I’m honoured to be an ambassador for UWS and delighted that they’re so helpful in our goal of reducing isolation within the amputee community and helping those who have been through limb loss to realise their full potential.”

To donate to Corinne’s challenge, visit https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/corsclimbingkili