Talking about Dyspraxia

Picture1

Alexandra Murrell, a Lecturer in Health Studies on our London Campus had a letter published in the “i” today the 22nd of March. Alexandra’s letter shown above was written in response to a story published in the  “i” on Monday 19th. discussing the circumstances surrounding a young lady called Elsa Vulliamy and the problems that she had trying to learn to drive. You can read her story “My driving instructor ditched me because of my dyspraxia” at

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/dyspraxia-life-problems-driving-health/

In response, Alexandra has written

As someone who suffers from mild dyspraxia making me clumsy, and messy I was pleased to read about Elsa Vulliamy’s difficulties. Dyspraxia is unrecognised and people may think someone is lazy or not trying hard enough. Like many conditions it can be worse when anxious having to perform a practical task. I learned to drive fairly easily, though I find parking difficult. My handwriting is considered hard to decipher though with digital technology there is less need to write

In many instances the person with dyspraxia can practice alone in order to get the sequencing right, dancing is something most dyspraxics will find difficult, and seemingly simpler tasks such as packing and folding. However taking time with these tasks can mean a satisfactory outcome will be achieved.

I work as a nurse and a lecturer. I also enjoy cooking. The earlier someone can learn a task the more likely can manage it, schools need to include practical tasks and circus skills can help with fine motor and spatial skills. I spoke about this condition when I was doing my adult teaching certificate 2 years ago to health professionals, in order to help them understand why some people struggle with learning certain skills

For someone with dyspraxia being tidy is a real challenge, whereas for some people it is normal to have everything in very neat piles. I hope the article in Mondays I raises awareness to this condition and help people understand it and ultimately be more tolerant”

If you want to know more about dyspraxia you should look at the information on the Dyspraxia Foundation Website:  What is Dyspraxia?  Alexandra also recommends looking at Movement Matters the website of the UK Developmental Coordination Disorder Consensus where there a number of useful documents and videos highlighting some of the issues that affect people living with Dyspraxia.