A Message From Our Retiring Depute Principal

Professor Paul Martin CBE, the Depute Principal of the University and formerly Dean of the School of Health and Nursing and Midwifery retires this month after being with the University since 2009.

Prior to joining the University Professor Martin was Chief Nursing Officer and Director for Health Workforce for Scotland. In this role he advised the Cabinet Secretary and Ministers on all matters relating to nursing, midwifery, health visiting and the allied health professions as well as workforce planning, pay and workforce development. Earlier in his career he was Chief Executive of Highland Primary Care NHS Trust.

We would like to wish him a long and happy retirement after such sterling service to all the public services he has worked for during his career.

Professor Martin left this message for us

” Tempus Fugit, or so they say.  And time has indeed flown by since I started with UWS back in 2009.  Since then I have had the privilege of working with some of the brightest, most talented and dedicated individuals within the Education sector, here at UWS, helping our students to realise their potential and to change their lives.

In my Graduation Addresses I would often cite the fact that I’m from Cumnock, and I did so with pride.  I was the first in my family to go to University, and without doubt the doors that have been opened to me in my career would perhaps have remained closed had I not had the opportunity of Higher Education.

The warm welcome extended to me when I first joined UWS has continued across the years, and I think it should be a source of pride for this organisation that we throw our doors open to and offer people the chance to make positive changes to their lives and the lives of others.

I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to all staff and student colleagues at UWS.  I will look back fondly on my time here, I’ve made a lot of good friends, and have enjoyed the opportunity to influence transition and encourage transformation.  UWS will continue to go from strength to strength and I’m proud to have been a part of its story. “

Best wishes from

Professor Paul Martin CBE (Depute Principal)