Congratulations to a Super Mum!

Jennifer_supermum2

She is not from our School, but we would like to congratulate her anyway. Well done, to  Jennifer Piggott a recent graduate of the School of Media, Culture and Society who has been highly commended for her volunteering work with Barnardo’s Scotland’s Nurture Services in Inverclyde, whilst studying here at UWS.

BSc Psychology graduate, and mum of five, Jennifer gave up her own time to act as a befriender for more than two years, working closely with a nine-year-old boy and mentoring a young mum. Jennifer said:

“I have absolutely loved volunteering with Barnardo’s. You can see for yourself that it can make a real difference. It is only sacrificing a few hours of your time. I think more people should do it. I learned so much about myself.”

Jennifer who graduated from the Paisley Campus in the summer of 2017 decided to go part-time from her full-time employment to allow her to undertake her degree.
She said:

“It was something I always wanted to do, work with children and young people. But I realised when I was doing the degree that there were no work placements so I looked about for volunteering opportunities and came across Barnardo’s.”

Jennifer was nominated for the Marsh Trust’s outstanding contribution to volunteering award and received a ‘Highly Commended’ certificate.

Barnardo’s Nurture Services gives support to families in Inverclyde, providing a wide range of opportunities on-site and through outreach to promote family well-being. Children and families are at the core of service delivery, using a range of individual and group work at the service base, within the family home or in school. The service is currently recruiting volunteers to befriend children and young people, parent mentors and to support groups with children and families. For anyone interested in more information, contact Hannah Burns on 01475 728493 or email hannah.burns@barnardos.org.uk.